top of page

The Chapel


The Chapel

The 18th century saw the rise of the Methodist movement in Wales.
Preaching had started at Ty Llwyd and in the Ship Inn where Daniel Rowlands and Howell Harries both preached.
When Daniel Rowlands was ordained Deacon on 10 March 1733, the ceremony was conducted by the Bishop of St David's, John Banks, at Duke Street Chapel, Westminster. Nothing daunted, Daniel walked the 200 miles from Wales to London for his ordination.
The first chapel was built in 1768 and measured 39 feet by 21 feet.
The second was built in 1793 and the present one in 1832.
From 1811 the Methodists discontinued taking communion in church.
There was a small chapel at Ty Llwyd, where Hywel Harris preached in 1738. Two pillars from this chapel are under the gallery in Pennant Chapel today.
Cwmteg was built in 1873 as a house for the Minister
In 1913, at a cost of £100 a field was bought from Rhys Edwards, Lanllwyd for use as a cemetery.
These are the first five entries in the Register of Baptisms.

chapel table.png

These are the first five entries in the Register of Baptisms.

The Ministers for the Chapel appear to have been drawn from a mainly from a circuit as they are today but some of them resided in the village.

1822 - 1824 David Evans
1864 - 1903 Evan Evans.He lived in Penpontbren.
He seems to have had an assistant preachesr in Thomas Lewis, Minister who lived at Pencwm, Pennant in 1866 and John Davies, Minister, who lived at Cwmteg from 1873 to 1902.
1911 - 1923 Morgan Evans
1933 - 1942 D.A.Williams
1944 - 1945 G.A.Howells
1950 - 1965 H.T.Harry
1968 - 1988 E.Ebenezer

bottom of page