top of page

The Mill


The Mill at the turn of the twentieth century

A former water powered corn mill, rebuilt and extended c 1920. Now a house. There was an overshot wheel on the gable end, replaced by a Pelton wheel for generating electricity; this survives in the wheel pit, now a cellar. Above the house is a small detached "bake house" (locally thought not to have been a corn drying bin) converted into a workshop. The water came in via a long leat to a walled and embanked pond behind the mill. The kiln was in the mill, with a tall gable end doorway at 1st floor level. There were two pairs of stones. 
Source the Land Registry.

bottom of page